Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Kodak Factory Fire, Abbotsford, Victoria, 1956 Reg. No: MM 98562
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of an interior of the Kodak Australasia factory at Abbotsford, Victoria, after a fire in the Silver Nitrate building, 1956.
The Abbotsford factory was initially the site of the Austral Plate Company, created by Thomas Baker, a pharmaceutical chemist, in 1884. After Baker went into partnership with accountant, John Rouse, to develop the photographic manufacturing company, Baker and Rouse Pty Ltd, they proposed a merger with Eastman Kodak in 1907. In 1908, Australian Kodak Limited was formed and evolved to become what is known today as Kodak Australasia. The Abbotsford site remained the base for the operations of Kodak Australasia until the late 1950s.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on light weight paper, landscape format with a white border.
- Description Of Content:
- Interior view of a room with charred wooden beams supporting the ceiling, evidence of recent fire. To the far left of the image are two men in overalls and white caps. There is a piece of corrugated aluminium sheeting lying across a row of barrels. There are shattered panes of glass to the rear of the image, revealing a brick wall.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||203 mm (Height), 257 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factory workers, fires, photography, working life, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse, Abbotsford Workshops, Kodak Australasia|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory interior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, top right hand corner, handwritten, pencil: 'jan B'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1956|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, 1956|