Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Silver Nitrate Processing Area, Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1952 Reg. No: MM 98570
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of a silver nitrate processing room at the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1952.
At the centre of the image, the woman wearing the laboratory coat on the left is June Craig and the woman on the right is Elaine Sharp. Both worked in the Kodak Research Laboratory.
The Abbotsford factory was initially the site of the Austral Plate Company, created by Thomas Baker, a pharmaceutical chemist, in 1884. After Baker went into partnership with accountant, John Rouse, to develop the photographic manufacturing company, Baker and Rouse Pty Ltd, they proposed a merger with Eastman Kodak in 1907. In 1908, Australian Kodak Limited was formed and evolved to become what is known today as Kodak Australasia. The Abbotsford site remained the base for the operations of Kodak Australasia until the late 1950s.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph, printed on medium weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Wide angle view of the silver nitrate processing room. At the centre of the image, a man in a laboratory coat holds a rack of test tubes and two women in laboratory coats stand either side of him. To the far right, a man is pouring liquid into glass jars. At the back of the image, standing against the tiled wall are two men in overalls. To the left, one man is wearing rubber gloves and working with a white substance in metal bowls. Two men stand behind him and are pouring liquid into a square container.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||108 mm (Height), 152 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, manufacturing, staff, factory workers, photography, interior views, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Baker & Rouse, Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory interior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, top right hand corner, handwritten, pencil, : 'Jan B'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1952|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1952|