Search the collections
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Kodak Executives, Staff & Guests at the Reception of the Official Opening of the Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1961 Reg. No: MM 98727
- Colour photograph of the reception at the official opening of the Kodak factory complex at Coburg, 14 April 1961.
Construction of the Kodak factory complex in Coburg began in 1957 on 23 hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings for the manufacture of silver halide photographic products. The building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd. The still uncompleted complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Colour photograph, printed on medium weight paper with a white border, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Photograph featuring a group of one man at the centre and two women standing either side, with drinks in their hands. The man is wearing glasses and a light brown suit and a blue and grey striped tie. The woman to the left is wearing a dark pink coat over a black and white print dress with a hat. The woman to the right is wearing a fur trimmed coat and a red hat.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||90 mm (Height), 128 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, photography, manufacturing plants, functions, receptions|
|Themes this item is part of:||Baker & Rouse, Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||opening events|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Apr 1961|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, Apr 1961|
Beale, N, The History of Kodak in Australia, Coburg, no date.
?A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant? Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007
Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985
Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007