Search the collections
Badge - 'My Country First, Protect Its Industries, Buy Its Goods', Australia, 1930-1939 Reg. No: NU 42197
- Gilt and emamel badge inscribed 'MY COUNTRY FIRST ' on white map of Australia, and inscribed 'PROTECT ITS INDUSTRIES ' and 'BUY ITS GOODS' on boomerangs. Made by Stokes and Sons, Melbourne, circa 1930s.
The badge supports the protection of Australian industries, a common sentiment around the time of Federation and reflected in Commonwealth Government policy. It was possibly produced as part of the campaign by the Australian Natives' Association to promote Australia-made goods. The Australian Natives' Association was a Friendly Society which provided benefits to its Australian-born members. It was a staunch supporter of trade protection and immigration restriction, and Prime Minister Alfred Deakin was a member.
- Gilt and enamel badge featuring six-pointed star-shaped with white map of mainland Australia in centre. Black boomerangs are positioned at top and bottom of star.
|Dimensions:||30 mm (Width), 30 mm (Length)|
|Weight:||7.11 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||import tariffs, protectionism, trading, white australia policy, mustard bowl, making history - white australia|
|Themes this item is part of:||Cultural Diversity Collection, Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Australian Natives Association (ANA), Melbourne, Victoria, Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales, Identity: Yours, Mine, Ours, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 2011-2021|
|Primary Classification:||POLITICS & PUBLIC PROTEST|
|Obverse Description:||"MY COUNTRY FIRST " in gilt on white map of Australia,
"PROTECT ITS INDUSTRIES " AND "BUY ITS GOODS" in gilt on boomerangs.
|Reverse Description:||Stamped " STOKES & SONS / MELB" on reverse.|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: 'MY COUNTRY FIRST' in gilt on white map of Australia. 'PROTECT ITS INDUSTRIES ' and 'BUY ITS GOODS' in gilt on boomerangs.
Reverse: stamped 'STOKES & SONS / MELB'
|Issued By:||Australia, 1930-1939
|Manufacturer:||Stokes & Sons|
|Commissioned By (Probable):||Australian Natives' Association (ANA)|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Cultural Diversity Collection
- Migration Collection
- Numismatics & Philately Collection
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Australian Natives Association (ANA), Melbourne, Victoria
- Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales
- Identity: Yours, Mine, Ours, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 2011-2021