Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Studio & Demonstration Area At Kodak Technical Service Centre, Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1964 Reg. No: MM 98985
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph taken by Wolfgang Sievers features the studio and demonstration area at the Kodak Technical Service Centre at the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd factory complex in Coburg, 1964.
Wolfgang Sievers is widely recognised as one of Australia's most significant architectural and industrial photographers. He pioneered a modernist photographic style influenced by the Bauhaus, and his work celebrates industry and the worker. Sievers was commissioned to document the newly constructed Kodak Coburg plant. He subsequently took several hundred black & white and colour images that highlighted the modern architectural and industrial design features of the complex.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Black and white, silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.
- Description Of Content:
- Image features photographic processing equipment and photography studio facilities. To the left is a bench with equipment including warming lights and a series of diagrams/instructions on the wall . A refrigerator is positioned next to the bench. At centre and to the right are various pieces of equipment and to the rear of the image is a camera and studio light set up. The room features fluorescent strip and spot lights and a linoleum floor.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||199 mm (Height), 247 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||photography, photographic equipment, manufacturing plants, photographic studios, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg, Wolfgang Georg Sievers, Photographer (1913-2007), Baker & Rouse|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory interior views|
|Inscriptions:||Back, stamp: 'WOLFGANG SIEVERS/Photographer/9 COLLINS ST., MELBOURNE C.1./TELEPHONE 63-4023'
Back, handwritten, pencil: '3562 AB'
|Organisations Depicted:||Sievers, Wolfgang|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; See Dimensions|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1964|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1964|
|Photographer:||Wolfgang Sievers, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1964|
Beale, N, The History of Kodak in Australia, Coburg, no date.
?A Brief Process Based Site History, Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg Plant? Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2007
Pamphlet, "Milestones in the History of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd", Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 1985
Leggio, Angeletta "A History of Australia's Kodak Manufacturing Plant", Topics in Photographic Preservation, Volume Twelve, 2007
Ennis, Helen "Intersections: Photography, History and the National Library of Australia", National Library of Australia, Canberra, 2004
"Kodak Opens New Technical Service Centre", Industrial Photography & Commercial Camera, May/June, 1964, pp.10-11