Search the collections
Slide - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Emulsion Coating Building 3, Framework Construction, Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1957 Reg. No: MM 99137
- Colour slide taken by Stuart Sanderson, General Manager of Manufacturing at Kodak, of the construction of the framework for Emulsion Coating Building 3, Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd factory complex in Coburg, November 1957.
Construction of the Coburg complex began in 1957 on twenty three hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings, while the building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd.
The still uncompleted Coburg factory complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd and its manufacture of silver halide photographic products. It replaced the Abbotsford factory where Kodak had been operating since 1908. The Abbotsford premises eventually closed in 1966.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
This slide is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- Colour 35mm slide in cardboard casing.
- Description Of Content:
- Image of the construction of a single storey building. Concrete pylons and steel framework is visible. To the rear of the image is a partially completed building. Electrical poles and wiring service the site. Three workers are on site.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
- Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
|Dimensions:||50 mm (Height), 50 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||factories, building construction, photography, manufacturing plants|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||factory exterior views|
|Original Caption:||Coating Building Framework, 1957|
|Inscriptions:||Front, printed: 'KODACHROME/TRANSPARENCY/PROCESSED BY KODAK'
Back, handwritten, black pen: '13 COATING BLD/FRAMEWORK/NOV 57'
|Organisations Depicted:||Sanderson, Stuart|
|Format:||Slide: Colour; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1957|
|Organisation Depicted:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1957|