Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Slide - Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Testing & Photo-Processing Building 7, Framework Construction, Kodak Factory, Coburg, 1957 Image Reg. No: MM 99139

Summary:
Colour slide taken by Stuart Sanderson, General Manager of Manufacturing at Kodak, of the construction of the framework for Testing and Photo-Processing Building 7, Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd factory complex in Coburg, November 1957.

The Testing Department (later called Film & Paper Technical Services Department) provided a service to Manufacturing and Marketing by measuring and reporting on the quality of manufactured films, papers and chemicals. Samples of sensitized materials were taken out from pilot runs, and during and after manufacture. These were measured for photographic speed, contrast, colour balance and for many other attributes, to ensure that all quality specifications were being met. Further testing of some samples involved physical performance, storage conditions and general handling which products would likely have to endure over their lifetime in the hands of customers and professional users. More than a thousand samples were tested every day. While most of this testing was destructive, it complemented the non-destructive inspections made in the production departments. This department also monitored and reported on the quality of all chemical preparations made in the Photochemicals operation at the Burnley plant (after 1974 at Coburg).

Construction of the Coburg complex began in 1957 on twenty three hectares of former farmland. Since 1908, Kodak had been operating from the factory in Abbotsford and had gradually outgrown the premises. The Abbotsford factory remained operational while the Coburg plant was being built until it closed in1966. Architect Harry Norris of H A & F L Norris & Associates, created the design for the new factory and individual buildings, while the building contract was awarded to Lewis Constructions Pty Ltd.

The still uncompleted Coburg factory complex was officially opened on 14 April 1961 by the Prime Minister, Robert G. Menzies with Dr. A Chapman, President of Eastman Kodak Company, in attendance. The complex was the national headquarters of Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd and its manufacture of silver halide photographic products. It replaced the Abbotsford factory where Kodak had been operating since 1908. The Abbotsford premises eventually closed in 1966.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This slide is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description:
Colour 35mm slide in cardboard casing.
Description Of Content:
View of the framework construction of a double storey building. The framework is composed of concrete and steel. The surrounding area is compacted earth with suburban housing visible in the distance.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Acknowledgement:
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 50 mm (Height), 50 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: factories, building construction, photography, manufacturing plants, making history - kodak collection
Themes this item is part of: Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Construction of the Kodak Factory at Coburg
Primary Classification: MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY
Secondary Classification: Photographic Products
Tertiary Classification: factory exterior views
Original Caption: Testing Building Framework, 1957
Inscriptions: Front, printed: 'KODACHROME/TRANSPARENCY/PROCESSED BY KODAK'

Back, handwritten: '12 TESTING BLD/FRAMEWORK/NOV 57'
Organisations Depicted: Sanderson, Stuart
Format: Slide: Colour; 35 mm
Place & Date Depicted: Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1957
Organisation Depicted: Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Coburg, Victoria, Australia, 1957

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No