Search the collections
Negative - International Harvester, Messers Sawyer, Davies & Caples, South Melbourne, 1940 Reg. No: MM 115063
- Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.
The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.
Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.
- Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.
- Description Of Content:
- Messers Sawers, Davies & Caples in Mr Caple's office at Harvester House, City Road, South Melbourne. Taken 29 March 1940.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from International Trucks Pty Ltd
|Dimensions:||162 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||agricultural equipment, portraits, tractors, motor vehicles, motor trucks, agricultural machinery|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, International Harvester (IH) Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Original Caption:||'Messers Sawers, Davies & Caples in Office.'|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 29 Mar 1940|
|Creator:||International Harvester Co of Australia Pty Ltd (IHC), South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 29 Mar 1940|