Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Negative - International Harvester, D2 Station Wagon, 1940 Image Reg. No: MM 115089

Summary:
Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.

The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.

Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.
Description:
Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.
Description Of Content:
International D2 station wagon with a wooden body. Taken 10 May 1940 outside 'Harvester House', City Road South Melbourne.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from International Trucks Pty Ltd
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 162 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: agricultural equipment, tractors, motor vehicles, motor trucks
Themes this item is part of: Engineering Collection, International Harvester (IH) Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, International Harvester D Series Trucks
Primary Classification: ROAD TRANSPORT
Secondary Classification: Motor Vehicles
Tertiary Classification: motor cars
Model Name/Number: D2
Format: Negative: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.
Place Depicted: South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Creator: International Harvester Co of Australia Pty Ltd (IHC), Victoria, Australia, 10 May 1940

Comments

Ron Nash Posted on 02 Dec 2012 2:27 AM
This is an interesting body type. It appears that the body was built during the period of the severe sheet steel shortage in the first half of 1940. As a result, local vehicle manufacturers turned back to wood and masonite for some bodies, to enable vehicle production to continue.
Australias steel producers were able to gradually increase sheet steel production in the latter half of 1940, thus somewhat alleviating the sheet steel shortage, and enabling a return to all-steel motor bodies. When the Lend-Lease Act was passed in March 1941, the availability of new military vehicles increased, subject to shipping constraints.
Once America entered the War in December 1941, all American motor vehicle factories ceased civilian vehicle production shortly afterwards (on Feb 1st, 1942) thus increasing the supply of military vehicles to Americas allies, substantially.

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No