Search the collections
Similar items over time
Negative - International Harvester, D2 Panel Van, 'Paynes Bon Marche Pty Ltd', East Melbourne, 1940 Reg. No: MM 115104
- Part of a large collection of glass plate and film negatives, transparencies, photo albums, product catalogues, videos, motion picture films, company journals, advertisements and newspaper cuttings relating to the operations of the International Harvester Company and its subsidiaries in Australia.
The International Harvester Company of America was formed in 1902 by the merger of five leading American agricultural machinery manufacturers. An Australian subsidiary was established in 1904 to manage Australian distribution and sales and over subsequent decades International Harvester became a major competitor to local manufacturers like H.V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works.
Later International Harvester established its own Australian manufacturing works, producing agricultural equipment (and later tractors) at Geelong from 1939, motor trucks at Dandenong from 1952 and earthmoving and construction equipment at Port Melbourne from 1958.
- Black & white cellulose acetate photographic negative.
- Description Of Content:
- Publicity photograph taken 5 July 1940 outside 'Beverley Mansions' 21 Hotham Street, East Melbourne. Paynes Bon Marche department store had premises at 138 Bourke Street, Melbourne.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from International Trucks Pty Ltd
|Dimensions:||162 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||agricultural equipment, retailing, motor vans, tractors, motor vehicles, motor trucks, melbourne buildings|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, International Harvester (IH) Collection, International Harvester D Series Trucks|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Motor Vehicles|
|Tertiary Classification:||motor vans|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 8 in. x 6 in.|
|Place Depicted:||East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Creator:||International Harvester Co of Australia Pty Ltd (IHC), Victoria, Australia, 5 July 1940|