Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Date of Event Mt Disappointment, Australia
Cutting Disc - Food Processor, Mount Disappointment, 07 Feb 2009 (Bushfire Damaged) Reg. No: HT 23735
- Found in the wreckage of Bill Coppinger's kitchen area, this blade was part of a set. It was a birthday gift to Bill's wife from her sister in 2003 or 2004.
The house, sheds and all of their contents on the property at Mount Disappointment were destroyed in the Kilmore East Bushfire on 7 February 2009.
This is part of the Victorian Bushfires Collection, which includes a number of interviews with Bill Coppinger and a large range of fire affected artefacts from his destroyed home.
- Disc with central squared hole, 4 rivets, 2 circular holes, serrated cutting blade and raised grating holes. There are three small deposits of unknown melted substances.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This is a story of good fire preparation but ultimate defeat before an overwhelming firestorm. On 7 February 2009, the donor watched closely as the Kilmore East Fire jumped the Hume Highway and moved across to the base of his property on Mount Disappointment. He was aware of the fire's movements, had vast amounts of water and was properly prepared to 'stay and defend', but his house, sheds and all of their contents were destroyed. He lost his dog and very nearly lost his life.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Bill Coppinger, 2009
|Tagged with:||bushfires, rural life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Victorian Bushfires Collection, Recurring History of Bushfires in Victoria, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Date of Event:||Mount Disappointment, Victoria, Australia, 07 Feb 2009
Date the item was damaged by the Kilmore East Bushfire.