Search the collections
Skillet - Mount Disappointment, 07 Feb 2009 (Bushfire Damaged) Reg. No: HT 23743
- Found in the wreckage of the kitchen of Bill Coppinger's home at Mount Disappointment destroyed in the Kilmore East Bushfire on 7 February 2009. The skillet was originally owned by Bill's parents-in-law and was used in the general store they ran at Barwon Downs in the 1970s. It dates from before 1971.
This is part of the Victorian Bushfires Collection, which includes a number of interviews with Bill Coppinger and a large range of fire affected artefacts from his destroyed home.
- Burnt metal pan and hollow handle. The handle is riveted to one side of the pan with three rivets and moulded into oval shape with metal joining seam underneath; it includes a hole on its tip for hanging. The object may have been enamelled as a small amount of black coating remains on handle and a layer within the pan seems to be lifting off surface. The pan shape is warped and there are fragments of surrounding debris in pan.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Bill Coppinger, 2009
|Tagged with:||bushfires, rural life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Victorian Bushfires Collection, Recurring History of Bushfires in Victoria, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Date Made:||pre 1971|
|Date of Event:||Mount Disappointment, Victoria, Australia, 07 Feb 2009
Date the item was damaged by the Kilmore East Bushfire.
|Original Owner:||Mr Peter Strickland, Barwon Downs, Victoria, Australia, 1970s|
|User:||Mr Bill Coppinger, Mount Disappointment, Victoria, Australia, pre Feb 2009|