Book - CSIRAC Computer, Hardware Description, 1949-1955 Reg. No: HT 23989
- Book describing CSIRAC hardware prior to transfer to Melbourne from Sydney.
It was compiled by staff from the CSIRO Division of Radiophysics in Sydney, but the actual people involved are unknown.
This is a document of great significance. It provides the most complete description of the computer hardware prior to the move to Melbourne.
There is no introduction. Straight after the contents, the document details the Source Code.
The document was donated to the University of Melbourne by Helen Bowles, the widow of Ron Bowles. It was accompanied by various papers.
Three loose pages, accompanying this book, list some items that are not included in the document as well as three pages produced by CSIRAC History Team in2006. (The CSIRAC History team was set up by the University of Melbourne in 1995 to document CSIRAC). Some items listed in the Contents are not present in the document and these are indicated in one of the pages provided by the CSIRAC History Team.
There is also a loose fcopy of the title page.
- It consists of carbon copy typed quarto sized typing paper, several pages of diagrams and a few handwritten pages. The bown cardboard covers are in poor condition, torn in places. The front cover has become separated. The pages are not numbered.
Also accompanied by three pages supplied by CSIRAC History Team in 2006, listing contents, description of document and description of scanning carried out by the team.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This is a document of great significance. It provides the most complete description of the computer hardware prior to the move of the CSIRAC computer from Sydney to Melbourne.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Dr Peter Thorne - University of Melbourne (The) Computer Science Department, 2010
|Dimensions:||260 mm (Width), 230 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Approximate dimensions|
|Tagged with:||computers, csirac computer|
|Themes this item is part of:||Information & Communication Collection, CSIRAC Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMPUTING & CALCULATING|
|Secondary Classification:||Digital Computing|
|Tertiary Classification:||paperwork & documentation|
|Inscriptions:||No inscription on the covers.
The first page has handwriting in top right hand corner: M Beard/MW2984/c/o Radiophysics Lab/City Road/(illegible) NSW
|Author:||Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) Division of Radiophysics, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1949-1955|