Search the collections
Publicity Brochure - H.V. McKay Massey Harris, Sunshine, Harrows, 1940-41 Reg. No: TL 026160
- The cover of the leaflet features a photograph of tractor drawn harrows and horse-drawn harrows. The use of images of both horses and tractors on the cover is interesting as this was period where horse power was being phased out, and many farmers were switching to tractor power for their work. This catalogue captures this period of change, and also shows that McKay Massey Harris were still marketing to traditional farmers as well as farmers adopting to new technology.
Within the catalogue there are a number of line drawings and description of the benefits of the Harrows, and the variety of configurations it can be used in. A testimonial from Henry Hicks, from Yarloop W.A, dated February 20th 1941 is also included. This section of the catalogue has been inserted into an earlier dated catalogue.
Page 3 features a section "The Successful Farmer Always Uses Harrows" and claims that harrows are essential in retaining soil moisture in the context of irregular rainfall and will combat soil erosion. Soil erosion is an issue within the catalogue, evident in the statement "harrowing will combat soil erosion". A detailed list of the many uses in soil and crop management is also provided. Other sections of the booklet extoll the benefits of harrows in increasing the carrying capacity of paddocks, aerating the pasture, pulverising and spreading manure, scarifying and mulching grasslands, provide a smooth surface after seed drilling.
A section of page 7 of the catalogue has been cut out.
- Quarto sized booklet, entitled "Sunshine Harrows", 12 pages, black and yellow print, line drawings and photograph.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation & Transfer from Old McKay Archives, Science & Technology Collection, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||harrows, technology, horses, erosion, soil erosion, testimonials, technology changes, technology innovation, animal power|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Engineering Collection, Trade Literature Collection, Massey-Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd, Agricultural & Construction Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Tertiary Classification:||marketing & publicity|
|Publication Date:||1940/04 & 1941/05|
|Cover Title:||'SUNSHINE HARROWS FOR BETTER WORK AND LONGER SERVICE'
... L 383, DNm, (9090), 440
... L 448, Sm, 541
|Inscriptions:||Cover page title reads: "Sunshine/ Harrows/ for better work and longer service/ all kinds, all sizes - for/ large or small areas"
Page 2: "Sunshine Harrows are manufactured / and warranted by/ H.V. McKay Massey Harris/ Pty Ltd/ (Incorporated in Victoria)/ Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine./ Branches - 654-664 Bourke Street, Melbourne. Concord West (near Sydney)/ 95-97 North Terrace, Adelaide. Corner Murray and King Streets, Perth/ Queensland Distributors - H.V. McKay Massey Harris (Qld) Pty Ltd/ Stanley Street, South Brisbane/ Agents in all country centres'
|Publication Types:||Publicity Brochure|
|Printing Types:||Limited Colour|
|Illustration Types:||Black & White; Photographs; Line Drawings|
|Page Size Format:||190 x 250 mm|
|Number of Pages:||12|
|Manufacturer:||H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Engineering Collection
- Trade Literature Collection
- Massey-Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd, Agricultural & Construction Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Working Life & Trades Collection