Search the collections
Publicity Brochure - H.V McKay Massey Harris, 44K Tractor, 1950 Reg. No: TL 026869
- Promotional brochure for the 44K Tractor. The main selling points highlighted on the cover are that it is a "medium-heavy duty tractor with really new features for comfort, performance, dependability". The emphasis on comfort and new features provides an interesting tie into post-World War II economic developments in Australian economy that enabled many farmers to purchase increasingly advanced equipment.
The contents explains features of the tractor, focusing on innovations like "battery ignition with automatic spark control and voltage regulator". The back cover features detailed specifications for the model.
The stylized image of a sun featured on the front cover was an ongoing theme in McKay marketing and trade material into the post-World War II period.
This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company?s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation & Transfer from Old McKay Archives, Science & Technology Collection, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||tractors, tractor engines, technology changes, technology innovation, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Massey-Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd, Agricultural & Construction Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Engineering Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Internal Combustion Power|
|Cover Title:||'SUNSHINE MASSEY HARRIS The New MODEL 44K ... '
L570, 5467, DNm, 1150
|Model Name/Number:||Model 44K; 44K|
|Publication Types:||Publicity Brochure; Specification Sheets|
|Printing Types:||Limited Colour|
|Illustration Types:||Black & White; Instructional Drawings; Photographs; Line Drawings|
|Page Size Format:||185 mm x 240 mm|
|Number of Pages:||4|
|Manufacturer:||H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Massey-Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd, Agricultural & Construction Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Engineering Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection