Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - A.U. Alcock Electric Power Co, Burnley Street Power Station, Switchboard, Richmond, Victoria, 1899 Reg. No: MM 121020
- Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Victoria, operated by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) from 1919 to 1993 and various predecessor private and municipal power supply enterprises dating back to the late 1880s.
- Sepia toned black & white silver gelatin photographic print.
- Description Of Content:
- Man standing with switchboard panel inside the engine room of the A.U. Alcock Electric Light & MotivePower Co. Ltd., Burnley Street Power Station, Richmond,1899.
The switchboard was situated against the eastern wall at the back of the power house, furthest from Neptune Street.
A report of the new power station in the Melbourne 'Daily Telegraph' stated that:
"The arrangement of the switchboard was designed by Mr. A,U. Alcock and all the machinery was erected under his personal supervision, with the assitance of Mr. W. Phillips, the company's engineer."
The whole power station was designed to operate on the parallel system with each individual machine feeding its power into a single pair of mains, from which separate circuits for each district were supplied so that for light loading during the day or after midnight only one or two machines could be used, with the others started as required - consequently saving the machinery which would operate more economically. Power was distributed from the power station as alternating current at 2,000 volts, with the mains through the streets tapped at convenient places and feed through transformers to deliver electricity to customers at 100 volts.
The works supplied electric power for the company's lighting contracts in the municipalities for Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn, and South Melbourne, replacing smaller power stations previously operated by the company in central Melbourne and South Melbourne.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Public Record Office Victoria (PROV)
|Dimensions:||144 mm (Height), 205 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||electric power generation, electric power stations, engine houses, switchboards, richmond, a.u. alcock|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ENERGY TECHNOLOGY|
|Secondary Classification:||Electric Power - Generation|
|Tertiary Classification:||power stations|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in black ink on album page below photograph: 'Alcock & Co. 1899.'|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1899|
|Organisation Depicted:||A.U. Alcock Electric Light & Motive Power Co. Ltd Burnley Street Power Station, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1899|
|Designer of Item Depicted:||Mr Alfred Alcock, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1891
The switchboard depicted was designed by Mr Alfred Upton Alcock, founder and managing director of the A.U. Alcock Electric Light & Motive Power Co Ltd.
This item is part of the following themes: