Search the collections
Similar items over time
Patka - Child's, Yellow & Black Pattern, circa 2010 Reg. No: HT 24216
- Square cloth with a tie dye pattern of yellow diamond shapes with black lines between them used by Arvi or Ronnie circa 2010. The patka is a Sikh head covering which is worn by Sikh children who are not ready to wear tubans. Sometime during their teenage years, Sikh children take part in the dastaar bandhi ceremony where they tie a turban for the first time and affirm their identity as Sikhs. Thereafter, they wear the turban.The patka can also be worn by adult Sikhs as an under-turban and when playing sport.
This particular patka displays the colours of the Richmond Tigers football team who Arvi and Ronnie both support.
- Square cloth with a tye dye pattern of yellow diamond shapes with black lines between them. There are four strings used to tie the patka around a child's head. One side does not have a seam and this is the side placed at the front of the head while the strings tie the cloth at the back and around the topknot.
- Statement Of Significance:
- These patkas are from the family of Manpreet Kaur Singh. Both her sons Avtej (Arvi) and Ronnie wear patkas to show their identity as Sikhs. For the boys, patkas not only show religious and ethnic identity but are also a fashion statement with varying colours and patterns bought on visits to their extended family in Punjab, India. These particular patkas are used to show support for their favourite Australian Football League club, the Richmond Tigers and their favourite cricket team, Australia. Arvi also plays cricket with Eildon Park Cricket club and wears a green and gold/ yellow patka during play.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Manpreet Singh, 2010
|Dimensions:||513 mm (Height), 513 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||headwear, children s clothing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Migration Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|User (Possible):||Arvi Singh, Victoria, Australia, circa 2010|
|User (Possible):||Ronnie Singh, Victoria, Australia, circa 2010|
Footy in a Patka Down Under by Manpreet Kaur Singh
Dastaar Bandhi by Manpreet Kaur Singh