Search the collections
Photograph - John Duigan at the Controls of his Biplane, Bendigo Racecourse, Victoria, 3 May 1911 Reg. No: MM 107190
- Photograph of John Robertson Duigan seated at the controls of his biplane, taken during a public demonstration of the aircraft attended by 1,000 people at the Bendigo Racecourse, 3rd May 1911. The photograph was possibly taken by Jophn's brother Reginald Duigan or by a newspaper photographer.
Although French and American flying machines had already flown in Victoria, J.R. Duigan built and flew the first Australian-made flying machine in 1910.
This image taken at the Bendigo Racecourse on 3 May 1911, was published in the Bendigo Advertiser, 4 May 1911, and in the British aviation journal 'Flight' (London), 6th April 1912.
- Black & white silver gelatin photographic print. Identifical image to MM 057491 (SMV Neg No.182), but appears to have been printed from an original negative.
- Description Of Content:
- John Robertson Duigan seated at the controls of his biplane, built on the family property, 'Spring Plains', Mia Mia, near Heathcote, and first flown a short distance on 16 July 1910. This was the first Australian-built aeroplane to fly although John Duigan believed his first true controlled flight took place on 7 October 1910.
|Dimensions:||151 mm (Height), 198 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||aeronautics, aero engines, aircraft, aviation, aviation pioneers, biplanes, pilots, aeroplanes, aircraft propellors, experimental aircraft|
|Themes this item is part of:||Pioneering Flights at Diggers Rest, Victoria, Designing & Building the First Australian Aircraft, John Duigan's Military Service, Centenary of Australian Aviation, John Robertson Duigan MC, Pioneering Aviator (1882-1951), Reginald Charles Duigan, Pioneering Aviator & Inventor (1888-1966), Engineering Collection, Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AIR TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Pioneering Flights|
|Inscriptions:||Text 'FLIGHT.' printed in bottom right-hand corner.|
|People Depicted:||Duigan, John R.|
|Format:||Negative - Copy: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 03 May1911
|Person Depicted:||Mr John Duigan, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 03 May 1911|
|Maker of Item Depicted:||Mr John Duigan, Mia Mia, Victoria, Australia, 1909-1910|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Pioneering Flights at Diggers Rest, Victoria
- Designing & Building the First Australian Aircraft
- John Duigan's Military Service
- Centenary of Australian Aviation
- John Robertson Duigan MC, Pioneering Aviator (1882-1951)
- Reginald Charles Duigan, Pioneering Aviator & Inventor (1888-1966)
- Engineering Collection
- Transport Collection