Search the collections
Photograph - Take-off of John Duigan in his Biplane, Mia Mia, Victoria, circa 1910 Reg. No: MM 107191
- Photograph of John Robertson Duigan making an early flight in his biplane. Taken by his brother Reginald Duigan at the family property, 'Spring Plains', Mia Mia, near Heathcote in central Victoria. One of a series of four photographs of the completed prototype in flight, taken in late 1910 or 1911.
Although French and American flying machines had already flown in Victoria, J.R. Duigan built and flew the first Australian-made flying machine in 1910.
- Black & white silver gelatin photographic print. Identifical image to MM 057490 (SMV Neg No.12), but is a reversed view that appears to have been printed from an original negative.
- Description Of Content:
- John Robertson Duigan taking off in his biplane, from the 'Long Paddock' on the family property 'Spring Plains', at Mia Mia, near Heathcote, Victoria. The photograph was probably taken by his brother Reginald in late 1910 or early 1911, and shows the machine about 10 feet (3 metres) off the ground with a nose-up pitch of about 15 degrees.
|Dimensions:||151 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||aeronautics, aircraft, aviation, aviation pioneers, biplanes, pilots, aeroplanes, experimental aircraft, test flights|
|Themes this item is part of:||Pioneering Flights at Diggers Rest, Victoria, Designing & Building the First Australian Aircraft, John Duigan's Military Service, Centenary of Australian Aviation, John Robertson Duigan MC, Pioneering Aviator (1882-1951), Reginald Charles Duigan, Pioneering Aviator & Inventor (1888-1966), Engineering Collection, Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AIR TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Pioneering Flights|
|People Depicted:||Duigan, John R.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Mia Mia, Victoria, Australia, 1910-1911
Test flights took place on the creek flats opposite the homestead on the Duigan family property 'Sping Plains', near Mia Mia, central Victoria.
|Photographer:||Mr Reginald Duigan, 1910-1911|
|Maker of Item Depicted:||Mr John Duigan, Mia Mia, Victoria, Australia, 1909-1910|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Pioneering Flights at Diggers Rest, Victoria
- Designing & Building the First Australian Aircraft
- John Duigan's Military Service
- Centenary of Australian Aviation
- John Robertson Duigan MC, Pioneering Aviator (1882-1951)
- Reginald Charles Duigan, Pioneering Aviator & Inventor (1888-1966)
- Engineering Collection
- Transport Collection