Search the collections
Similar items over time
Ticket - Opening Ceremony, 1 Aug 1888 Reg. No: HT 24472
- Ticket, addressed to T F De Courcy Browne Esq, MP, for the opening ceremony of the Melbourne Centennial International Exhibition which was held on 1 August 1888. A seating plan is printed on the reverse of the ticket. Mr De Courcy Browne and his wife were seated in Section F, Row 1, Seats 26 and 27. Section F was immediately in front of the dais.
Thomas Frederic de Courcy Browne was a Member of the Legislative Assembly of the NSW Parliament from October 1885 to January 1889.
- Cream coloured card, printed on the obverse in gold. Features the British crest upper left hand corner. The reverse features a floor plan of the great hall of the Exhibition Building, with seating areas identified. The area that corresponds to the ticket is coloured in red.
|Dimensions:||122 mm (Height), 184 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||ceremonies, world fairs, exhibitions melbourne international centennial 1888-1889, politicians, invitations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Melbourne Centennial Exhibition 1888|
|Inscriptions:||Text on obverse: F ROW 1/ SEAT 26; Centennial International Exhibition./ Opening Ceremony,/ 1st August 1888./ Admit T. F. De Courcy Browne Esq M.P/ Reserved Seat - In front of Dais/ G. T. A. Lavater,/ Secretary./ Levee or Academical Dress of Uniform./ This Card is not transferable and must be retained and shown when required./ (SEE BACK)
Text on reverse, underneath floor plan: The Holder of this Ticket must enter by the Rathdowne Street Door, and be in/ the building before 11.30, at which hour the doors will be absolutely closed. The/ Colored Portion of the Plan shows the position of the Seats.
|Addressed To:||Mr Thomas de Courcy Browne, Melbourne, Central, Victoria, Australia, Aug 1888|
|Place & Date of Event:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1 Aug 1888|