Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Ricardo Knitwear, Female Model Wearing Woollen Jacket & Skirt Ensemble, Melbourne, circa 1968 Reg. No: MM 107251
- One of thirty-five photographs relating to Ricardo Knitwear fashion house. The garments in the photograph were designed by Richard Charlupski and made by Edda Azzola. Ricardo Knitwear was a Melbourne firm that specialised in expensive, classic knitwear for men and women. The company was based in Johnston Street, Collingwood and operated from 1958 to 1978. It was founded by Richard Charlupski, a Polish migrant who arrived in Australia in 1950.
Richard named the company 'Ricardo Knitwear' to play on the public perception that Italian knitwear was the finest in the world. While Richard had some workers in his factory much of the work was done by outworkers, of whom the most important was Edda Azzola, a migrant from Pontebba, Italy. Richard regarded Italian migrant women as the best workers in the knitwear industry and employed them exclusively. Ricardo knitwear was sold in Myer and David Jones department, top-end boutiques and the exclusive Georges department store.
- Black and white photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- Studio photograph of a female model wearing a single breasted, hip-length woollen jacket with pockets, a dark jumper with a round collar and an above the knee woollen skirt. The model is seated in a chair with her arms on the arm rests and her eyes looking down. The garments in the photograph were designed by Richard Charlupski and made by Edda Azzola of Ricardo Knitwear, Melbourne.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Richard Charlupski - Ricardo Knitwear, 2010
- Copyright Pending: Australian Wool Innovation Limited
Source: Richard Charlupski
|Dimensions:||217 mm (Height), 168 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Photograph dimensions|
|Tagged with:||clothing, immigration, textile workers, wool industry, fashion designers, clothing trade, textile industry, fashion models, dressmaking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Edda Azzola, Italian Migrant & Textile Worker, 1955, Richard Charlupski's Ricardo Knitwear Melbourne, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Stamp on the back of the photograph: 'Maurice Mead, Fashion and Commercial Photography, 360 Williams Street, Melbourne C.1. 329-7629'.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Photographer:||Maurice Mead, Fashion and Commercial Photography, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1968|
|Designer of Item Depicted:||Mr Richard Charlupski - Ricardo Knitwear, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, circa 1968|
|Manufacturer of Item Depicted:||Mrs Edda Azzola, Reservoir, Victoria, Australia, circa 1968|
|Manufactured For:||Ricardo Knitwear, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, circa 1968|
This item is part of the following themes: