Search the collections
Robe - Ceremonial or Winter, Red Wool & Fur, Sir Edmund Herring, 1944-1964 Reg. No: HT 24608
- Ceremonial or winter robe worn by Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Sir Edmund Herring, 1944-1964. The robe was made from a Trinity College Dublin Doctor of Science gown worn by Professor Sir Thomas Lyle (1860-1944), Professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Melbourne, 1889-1915. Sir Thomas Lyle was Sir Edmund Herring's father-in-law. Following Sir Edmund's retirement in 1964, the robe was left in the Supreme Court for the use of his successors.
- Long red wool gown with white fur trim. An embroidered panel explaining the history of the gown is stitched into the inside hem at the back of the gown.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection provides an archetypal set of robes as worn by judges of the Supreme Court of Victoria from the 1880s to the present day. Included in the collection are items directly associated with Chief Justices from the 19th and 20th centuries, including George Higinbotham Esq, Sir Edmund Herring, Sir John McIntosh Young, Justice Alfred King and Justice John Hedigan.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Joanne Boyd, 2010
|Tagged with:||uniforms, legal industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Court Dress of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS|
|Inscriptions:||Left hand section reads:
MELBOURNE 1976 / THIS ROBE WAS MADE FROM A TRINITY COLLEGE / DUBLIN DOCTOR OF SCIENCE GOWN / MADE FOR AND WORN BY PROFESSOR SIR THOMAS LYLE / MA. DSc. FRS. 1860 - 1944. PROFESSOR NATURAL / PHILOSOPHY MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY 1889 - 1915
Right hand section reads:
IT WAS GIVEN TO HIS SON IN LAW LT. GEN. THE HON. / SIR EDMUND HERRING ON HIS APPOINTMENT AS / CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME COURT OF / VICTORIA IN 1944. AND ON HIS RETIREMENT / IN 1964 WAS LEFT IN THE COURT FOR THE USE / OF HIS SUCCESSORS. J.S.D.
|Person Named:||General Edmund Herring, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1944-1964|
|Person Named:||Sir Thomas Lyle, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1889-1915|
|Place & Date Used:||Supreme Court of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1944-1964|