Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Sapporo, Japan
Digital Photograph - Mrs Nishummra, Kiku, Hasegawa & Children, Japan, circa 1909 Reg. No: MM 107260
- Photograph of Japanese immigrant Setsutaro Hasegawa's extended family taken in Sapporo, Japan circa 1909. It would have been sent out to him after his arrival in Australia. Setsutaro Hasegawa migrated to Australia in 1897 at the age of 29. This was just four years before the introduction of the Immigration Restriction Act which virtually banned immigration to Australia from Asia.
By 1910 he had married an Australian-born woman and had several children. He then established his own laundry business in Geelong in the late 1920s. In 1941 Setsutaro was interned at Tatura as an enemy alien, he was over 70 years old. He was released at the end of World War II, and unlike most Japanese interns he was not deported. Setsutaro returned to Geelong where he remained for the rest of his life.
- Black and white photograph
- Description Of Content:
- Studio portrait of seven members of Setsutaro Hasegawa's extended family. The three children (two girls and one boys) and woman in the centre of the photograph stand, while the two women on the sides stand. They are all wearing traditional dress. The people depicted in the photograph, from right to left are: Shin, Mitsu, Mrs Riki Nishummra, Mrs Kiku Sato, Hide, Mrs M Hasegawa and Sada.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Andrew Hasegawa, 2009
- Source Andrew Hasegawa
|Dimensions:||95 mm (Height), 139 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Photograph dimensions|
|Tagged with:||japanese immigration, japanese communities, portraits, photography, traditional costumes, families|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Setsutaro Hasegawa, Japanese Migrant, 1897, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Ethnicity - Clothing|
|Tertiary Classification:||regional costume|
|Inscriptions:||Written on the bottom of the image: 'N. Fukui', along with some Japanese characters.|
|People Depicted:||Shin ; Mitsu; Mrs Riki Nishummra; Mrs Kiku Sato; Hide; Mrs M Hasegawa; Sada|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Sapporo, Japan, circa 1909|
|User:||Mr Setsutaro Hasegawa, Victoria, Australia, circa 1910|