Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Geelong, Australia
Digital Photograph - Hasegawa Family in Front of a House, Geelong, circa 1940s Reg. No: MM 107262
- Photograph of some members of the Hasegawa family taken in Geelong. It is likely that this is Leo Hasegawa's wife Edna (Ida) and their children. Leo was the first of Setsutaro's three children to marry, in 1929, this date combined with the age of the children make it likely that the photograph was taken in the late 1930s or early 1940s.
Setsutaro Hasegawa migrated to Australia in 1897 at the age of 29. This was just four years before the introduction of the Immigration Restriction Act which virtually banned immigration to Australia from Asia. Setsutaro married Australian born Ada Cole in 1905, with whom he had three children, Leo in 1906, Motto Kozo (Jack) in 1907 and Joe in 1911. He established a laundry business in Geelong in the late 1920s.
Setsutaro's three children all married Australian women. Leo married Edna Ida Gladys Jorgensen in 1929, Jack married Ellen Kathleen Keyte in 1933 and Joe married Marjorie Emma Climpson in 1935. Both Leo and Joe and their families remained living in Geelong, with Leo and Edna looking after Setsutaro's property during his internment. Jack and Ellen moved to the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne.
In 1941 Setsutaro was interned at Tatura as an enemy alien, he was over 70 years old. He was released at the end of World War II, and unlike most Japanese interns he was not deported. Setsutaro returned to Geelong where he remained for the rest of his life.
- Black and white photograph
- Description Of Content:
- Family of Leo and Ida Hasegawa. The photograph is taken in front of the family home in Little Ryrie Street Geelong. In the back row from left to right are Leonard, Tom and Raymond. In the front row from left to right are Betty, Matsu and Sylvia. The baby being nursed by Matsu is Leonora.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Andrew Hasegawa, 2009
- Source Andrew Hasegawa
|Dimensions:||107 mm (Height), 81 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Photograph dimensions|
|Tagged with:||japanese immigration, japanese communities, portraits, photography, families, homes, gardens, schools|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Setsutaro Hasegawa, Japanese Migrant, 1897|
|Primary Classification:||DOMESTIC LIFE|
|Tertiary Classification:||family portraits|
|People Depicted:||Leo Hasegawa; Ida Hasegawa; Leonard Hasegawa; Tom Hasegawa; Raymond Hasegawa; Betty Hasegawa; Matsu Hasegawa; Sylvia Hasegawa; Leonora Hasegawa|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Geelong, Victoria, Australia, 1942-1948
Date provided by Andrew Hasegawa (donor) through Collection online comment, 17 May 2011 (mid 1940's)