Search the collections
Membership Card - Issued to Vojislav Stojkovic, Ravna Gora, 1948 Reg. No: HT 24774
- Membership card issued to Vojislav Stojkovic by fundraising organisation Ravna Gora in Serbia in 1948. It records donations that Vojislav made to this organisation, and it has been stamped by the Yugoslav Royal Army. Vojislav Stojkovic was born in Yugoslavia (now Serbia) in 1906. He met his future wife Dimitrinka Nikolova Caraschobanova (Dimka) a Bulgarian Displaced Person when they were in nearby labour camps. They ended up in the same refugee camp in West Germany, and were married there in 1947.
The couple migrated to Melbourne via Naples on the Protea in 1948. They went directly to Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre in Albury, although they both quickly found work in Melbourne. In 1952 they had a daughter, Nada, and in 1956 another daughter, Lily. They purchased a house in Footscray in the 1950s and took in many boarders, mostly recently arrived migrants. Vojislav died in 1987.
- Booklet consisting of one piece of thin blue-grey card, folded twice to create three sections printed front and back. All type printed in black with personal details both typed and handwritten in blue and black ink in Serbian. Several stamps on both sides. Includes black and white photograph of a man, stamped by 'Yugoslav Royal Army.' Series of dates in 1948 recorded, as well as personal details.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This document forms part of the Stojkovic family collection which represents the experiences of thousands of displaced persons and refugees from post World War II Europe and their efforts to survive both during the war and afterwards. It also illustrates the challenges faced by these migrants on arrival in Australia as they attempted to begin new lives often with limited English and little support.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Nada Stojkovic, 2010
|Dimensions:||110 mm (Height), 210 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, fundraising, displaced persons, immigration policies, bulgarian communities, bulgarian immigration, immigration selection, displaced persons camps|
|Themes this item is part of:||Vojislav Stojkovic, Yugoslavian (Serbian) Migrant, 1948, Dimka & Vojislav Stojkovic, Bulgarian & Serbian Migrants, 1948, Migration Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed, typed and handwritten. Ink stamped in several places.|
|Issued To:||Mr Vojislav Stojkovic, Serbia, 1948|
|Place & Date Issued:||Serbia, 1948
Issued by fundraising organisation Ravna Gora
This item is part of the following themes: