Search the collections
Pass - 'Wow 1993', Issued to Kira & Guest, 8 Feb 1993 Reg. No: HT 25033
- Rectangular pass of clear laminated card with red ribbon. Printed on front: 'WOW 1993 PASS / Kira / Guest'. On back: 'The holder of this Pass and one guest are hereby invited to the Post-WOW Volunteers' Party'. The party was held at the Palace, St Kilda, Monday 8 February 1993, from 7pm until late.
The acronym 'WOW' has been variously used for 'Women's Own Warehouse' parties (eg. held Port Melbourne, 26 January 1991), 'Women on Women' (eg. Women on Women Health Research Unit at Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, 2010) and 'World of Women' (eg. World of Women film festival, Dubbo, 2010).
- Rectangular pass of clear laminated card. Printed inscriptions on front and back. Lower right corner has been cut off. Upper left corner has hole punched in it, through which a red plastic ribbon has been threaded. Ribbon extended 380 from card.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Girl Bar collection is significant for several reasons. It provides rare documentation of a lesbian social venue from the 1990s to the recent past, illustrating how the venue promoted itself and the messages it conveyed to its target audience, and how patrons interacted with the venue. The collection includes several key objects and documents, from entry tags and ID cards carried by patrons to a scrapbook with flyers, advertisements and newspaper clippings about the venue and the lesbian scene in Melbourne more broadly. It is contextualized with material such as an album of photographs showing the fit-out of one of their venues, a whistle (for safety and attention), t-shirts and drink coasters, and a personal artwork that remembers an event at the Girl Bar. The collection fills part of the gap in major Victorian collecting institutions, identified in Kate Davison?s 2006 report ?Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Material Survey?.
At a broader level, the Girl Bar scrapbook documents the techniques used by venues of this sort ? and indeed, a whole range of social contexts, including bands ? to promote themselves in a cost-effective, grass-roots manner. It includes original artwork, showing the simple techniques (such as line drawings and cutting and pasting) that were used to create flyers for photocopying onto coloured paper. The photo album documents the physical set-up of a business, providing an insight into a rarely-documented part of commercial life.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kira Seymour, 2005
|Dimensions:||60 mm (Height), 95 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Dimensions represent size of card.|
|Tagged with:||lesbian gay|
|Themes this item is part of:||Cultural Diversity Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on front: 'WOW / 1993 PASS / Kira / Guest'. On back: 'The holder of this Pass and one guest are hereby invited to / the Post-WOW Volunteers' Party. / PALACE - ST KILDA / Monday 08/02/93 / 7PM - Late'. Conditions of use of the pass follow, including being non-transferable and not redeemable for cash.|
|Date Inscribed:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1993|