Search the collections
Photograph - Austrian Court, Main Avenue, Exhibition Building, 1880-1881 Reg. No: MM 107917
- View of the tree ferns and other exhibits at the entrance of the Austrian Court in the central temporary annexe on the western side of the main avenue at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition held at the Exhibition Buildings, Carlton Gardens, between 1 October 1880 and 30 April 1881.
In addition to the main permanent Exhibition Building, two permanent annexes as well as a large, central wooden temporary annexe were constructed to house the courts of various countries, or to include larger items from countries already represented in the main Building.
The main avenue was the central corridor that extended through the temporary annexes, leading northwards from the main permament Exhibition Buildings. Many of the major European countries had their courts situated on the western side of the main avenue, while the eastern side included exhibits from smaller countries and from other Australian colonies. The Austrian Court was at the far north-west corner of the temporary annexes, next to the Italian Court. The tree ferns, which are show in other photographs as a major feature of the entranceway into the Austrian Court, are now little more than withered fronds, suggesting that this photograph was taken some months after the October 1880 Exhibition opening and had since suffered from the heat of the Australian summer.
This is one of seventy-six photographs in a photograph album. Twenty-six photographs are of the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition. The photographs provide us with important visual evidence about the gardens around the Exhibition Building, and interior exhibits, including detailed images of the British Art Court, the ceramic and pottery exhibits in the Main Hall, and the appearance of the Avenue of Nations. The photographs are taken from glass plates and retain an excellent level of clarity and detail.
The album also contains a number of photographs in the 'Frith's Series', taken by British photographer Francis Frith, or members of his staff, of Gibraltar, and villages and towns in Britain.
- Albumen photograph mounted on buff-coloured card in red, cloth-covered, photograph album with decorative gold tooled border and gold tooled lettering in centre of front cover.
- Description Of Content:
- International Exhibition, Melbourne, 1880. Interior view of the Exhibition Building showing the Austrian Court in an annexe to the Great Hall.
- Source: Museum Victoria
|Dimensions:||135 mm (Height), 188 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Dimensions of photograph only|
|Tagged with:||civic mementoes, exhibitions, exhibitions melbourne international 1880-1881, gardens, buildings, keepsakes, royal exhibition building, medal presentations, public ceremonies, photography, exterior views|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Secondary Classification:||Melbourne International Exhibition 1880|
|Tertiary Classification:||photograph albums|
|Inscriptions:||Written inside the front cover of album: 'W.W.Scott/ c/o Horticultural Press/ 78A Victoria Street/ Melbourne C1/ Box 1944/ Phone F2656/ [illegible]; Sold by G.W.Harris, Donolly Victoria.'|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1880|