Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - Orion Nebula, Taken with the Great Melbourne Telescope, Victoria, 26 Feb 1883 Reg. No: MM 107609
- Photograph of Orion Nebula, taken by Joseph Turner with the Great Melbourne Telescope on 26 Feb 1883, with an exposure of 4 minutes.
- Albumen photograph mounted on card
- Description Of Content:
- Section of Orion Nebula to the left of image, several smaller starts surrounding it, background a purple-black colour.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch)
|Dimensions:||192 mm (Height), 244 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||This is image size as well - there are no margins in the photograph itself|
|Tagged with:||astronomy, stars|
|Themes this item is part of:||Great Melbourne Telescope, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872, Engineering Collection, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Hand written in black ink under photograph: 'Orions Neb. Taken with the Great Melbourne Telescope / Feb 26/83. Exposure 4 minutes. / Seale for above photo 0.3mins = 1' / s / note. The photograph taken by O H J Draper, of New York / on March 14th/82 was taken on a dip gelatine plate, / the exposure being 137 minutes = 2 hours 17 minutes'
Hand written in black ink above photograph: 'n'
Hand written in black ink to the left of photograph: 'f'
Hand written in black ink to the right of photograph: 'p'
|Photographer:||Mr Joseph Turner - Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 26 Feb 1883|
|Place & Date Created:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 26 Feb 1883|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Great Melbourne Telescope
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872
- Engineering Collection
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection