Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - K Crucis, Taken With The Great Melbourne Telescope, Victoria, 3 Mar 1883 Reg. No: MM 107620
- Photograph of the Kappa Crucis Cluster, named the 'Jewel Box', in the constellation of Crux. Photograph taken by Joseph Turner with the Great Melbourne Telescope on March 3 1883, with an exposure of 5 minutes.
- SIlver gelatin photograph mounted on card, sheet of tissue paper attached at the top covers photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- K Crucis cluster, a group of stars pictured near the centre of image, several smaller stars pictured in the surrounding area, background is black.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch)
|Dimensions:||138 mm (Height), 99 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||This is image size as well - there are no margins in the photograph itself|
|Tagged with:||astronomy, stars|
|Themes this item is part of:||Great Melbourne Telescope, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872, Engineering Collection, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Hand written in black ink under photograph: 'K Crucis taken with the Great Melbourne Telescope / March 3 1883 / Exposure 5 minutes'
Hand written in black ink on the back of photograph: 'K Crucis. Taken with Melbourne Great / Telescope / Exposure 5 mintues'
|Photographer:||Mr Joseph Turner - Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 3 Mar 1883|
|Place & Date Created:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 3 Mar 1883|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Great Melbourne Telescope
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872
- Engineering Collection
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection