Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - 'Absolute House', Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, circa 1935 Reg. No: MM 107658
- Photograph of the Absolute House at Melbourne Observatory, circa 1935. Built in 1861 the Absolute House measured geomagnetic elements along with the Differential House.
Photograph taken by Rolf Baldwin, son of the third Victorian Government Astronomer, Joseph Baldwin.
- Monochrome silver gelatin print.
- Description Of Content:
- Possibly the 'absolute house' in the background trees covering most of the house, grass in foreground, South Yarra, Victoria
|Dimensions:||86 mm (Height), 63 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||astronomy, observatories, gardens, buildings, houses, geophysics, bushes|
|Themes this item is part of:||Magnetic Observations at Flagstaff & Melbourne Observatories, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PHYSICAL SCIENCES|
|Secondary Classification:||Geophysics - Geomagnetism|
|Tertiary Classification:||measuring equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in black ink on the back of photograph: 'I think this is the old / absolute house, but / am not sure.'
Printed in black ink on back of photograph: 'VELOX.(repeated)'
Rubber stamped in black ink on back of photograph: '6 33'
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, circa 1935|
|Photographer:||Mr Rolf Baldwin, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, circa 1935|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Magnetic Observations at Flagstaff & Melbourne Observatories
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection