Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Coin - Gold, London, 1851 Reg. No: LL 070788
- This coin was excavated at the Commonwealth Block site between 1988 and 2003. It is a British gold sovereign and minted in London in 1851. It is commonly called a Shield sovereign because of the shape of the Arms on the reverse. From 1872 the Melbourne Mint began to strike coins identical to this with the addition of a tiny 'M' Mint mark. Last Melbourne sovereigns made 1931.
Working in Little Lon.
Alongside the tightly packed cottages, commercial enterprise thrived in little Lon. Shops sold food and 'fancy goods'. Factories and workshops manufactured bellows, furniture, waterproof clothing and ice cream.
In the 1880s grocers flourished, and in the 1890s clothing firms and Chinese cabinet-makers dominated the local manufacturing scene. But Little Lon's most numerous businesses were the myriad hotels and brothels.
It is easy to overlook the 'invisible' work carried out in people's homes. Because such work was rarely documented we rely on things left behind to tell the story. The abundance of lace bobbins dug up at Little Lon hints at a lace-making industry and busy lives otherwise hidden from history.
- Gold sovereign from the Sydney mint.(obv) 'VICTORIA D.G. BRITTANIAR REG FD' 1858' with the head of a young Queen Victoria. (rev) 'Sydney mint one soverign Australia', crown and wreath depicted on this side. Coin made of 91.67% gold and 8.33% silver.
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Dimensions:||1 mm (Height), 22 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||width = diameter|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Mint, Medal Makers, Sydney, New South Wales, Little Lon, Little Lon Collection, Branch Mints of the Royal Mint|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Trench Unit Number:||26/03/01|
|Inscriptions:||Obv: Shield & wreath, lettering: 'Brittanniarum Regina Fid: Def:' Rev: Young Victoria, lettering: 'Victoria Dei Gratia 1851'|
|Manufacturer:||Royal Mint, Sydney Branch, 1858|