Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Bottle - Glass, circa 1870-1890 Reg. No: LL 072806
- This light green glass bottle was excavated at the Commonwealth Block site between 1988 and 2003. It was manufactured using a two-piece mould between 1870 and 1890
Food and eating.
Kitchen facilities in the homes of Little Lon were rudimentary. Few people had ovens or ice chests, so perishable foods were bought fresh daily. Most meals were fried or boiled over an open fire. Families with limited facilities would take their Sunday roasts to a nearby bakery for cooking. Even the poorest residents of Little Lon seem to have eaten a considerable amount of meat. Mutton, beef, rabbit and pork came from the Eastern Market in Bourke Street. Oysters and fish were sold from barrows in Flinders Street. Fresh fruit and vegetables were hawked on the streets by Chinese and Italian vendors.
- Glass bottle, light green colour. 2 piece mould, cracked lip, rounded laid on string rim immediately below lip, tapering neck and sloped down shoulders, square base with chamfered corners. Moulded domed basal profile, flat resting point. Embossed scrolls on shoulders, panelled body. Base 68mm x 68mm, height 195mm.
c. 1870's - 90's?
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Heritage Victoria, 2005
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Dimensions:||193 mm (Height), 65 mm (Width), 66 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||bottles, making history - little lonsdale street|
|Themes this item is part of:||Little Lon, Little Lon Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Activity:||container - food - pickles jar.|
|Trench Unit Number:||27/22/05|