Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Cup - Blue Italian Pattern, Earthenware, Copeland and Garrett, Staffordshire, 1833-1847 (Reconstructed) Reg. No: LL 074338
- This cup was reconstructed from four fragments which were excavated from the same context at a dig at the Commonwealth Block site between 1988 and 2003. It was manufactured by Copeland and Garrett between 1833 and 1847 at the Spode Works, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. This pattern is known as 'Blue Italian' and the body type is known as 'New Blanche'.
Numerous crockery pieces were found all over the Little Lon site. Crockery gives us a glimpse of everyday life in Melbourne in the 1880s. In the houses around Little Lon, residents used decorated crockery. Most pieces were cheap earthenware or stoneware, yet provided colour and cheer. Only a few could afford to buy matching sets, and most china was probably acquired second-hand. Some were once expensive pieces. Householders mixed and matched their crockery from the great range of mass-produced designs available. 'Blue and white' and the 'willow' pattern, was the most popular choice and was produced by English potteries from 1790.
- 4 fragments of blue and white transfer print mug. Border has floral/ geometric design on upper side below the rim. Manufacturers mark and name of pattern on base reads 'COPELAND & GARRETT...NEW BLANCHE...N' all below a crown. This item has been restored by Conservation and was displayed in the Myer China and Glass Exhibition in April 1998. Pattern: 'Blue Italian'.
Copeland and Garrett, Stoke, Staffordshire Potteries, 1833-1847 'New Blanche' is the name of the body type.
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Dimensions:||79 mm (Height), 109 mm (Width), 84 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||cup, ceramic, earthenware|
|Themes this item is part of:||Little Lon, Little Lon Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Activity:||Food vessel, drinking, mug|
|Trench Unit Number:||19/49/05|
|Inscriptions:||Manufacturers mark and name of pattern on base reads 'COPELAND & GARRETT...NEW BLANCHE...N' all below a crown.|
|Manufacturer:||Copeland and Garrett, 1833-1847|
|References:||A.W. Coysh & R.K. Henrywood 'The Dictonary of Blue & White Printed Pottery|