Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Plate - Thistle Pattern, Porcelain, George Wood, Staffordshire, 1850-1854 (Reconstructed) Reg. No: LL 081258
- This transfer printed plate was excavated at the Commonwealth Block site between 1988 and 2003. The pattern is known as "Thistle". The maker's mark "G.W." could refer to George Wood 1850 - 1854 and 1864, George Woolliscroft c. 1851 - 1854 and 1860 - 1864 or George Wrigley c. 1860. However, it has been attributed to George Wood, Hanley between 1850-1854.
Uncovering past food practices.
Of all the archaeological material uncovered in the Little Lon excavations, the remnants of eating and drinking are the most numerous. Broken plates, bowls, cups and cutlery were thrown into rubbish piles with smashed jars that once held jam and pickles, and jugs that held water or cordial. Shells from oysters, abalone and coconuts were tossed in with bones from mutton, beef, rabbit and pork. Pips and seeds from fruit and vegetables were also added to the piles. These objects offer clues to the food consumed by residents of Little Lon, and are important in the rediscovery of a people, place and time long vanished.
- Fragment of blue ceramic plate with potters mark reading 'G.W. THISTLE No.' on base. Manufacturer could be: George Wood 1850 - 1854 + 1864, George Woolliscroft c. 1851 - 1854 + 1860 - 1864, George Wrigley c. 1860. L.J.Mahony, in her thesis, attributes this to George Wood, Hanley, between 1850 - 1854, referencing Godden, 1964, p.719. Transfer print.
motif is of a Scotch thistle, pattern name is 'Thistle'. Maker may be Scottish.
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Dimensions:||30 mm (Height), 145 mm (Width)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Little Lon, Little Lon Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Trench Unit Number:||18/02/01|
|Inscriptions:||Potter's mark on base: 'G.W. THISTLE No.'|
|Manufacturer:||George Wood, 1850 - 1854|
|References:||L.J.Mahony:The Pits: a methodological analysis of artefacts from the CCS|