Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Bottle - Milk, Glass, Amalgamated Dairies Pty Ltd, Melbourne, circa 1880 Reg. No: LL 47442
- This clear glass milk bottle was excavated at Casselden Place in 2003. It was machine made by Amalgamated Dairies Pty Ltd, located in North Melbourne.
Food and eating.
Kitchen facilities in the homes of Little Lon were rudimentary. Few people had ovens or ice chests, so perishable foods were bought fresh daily. Most meals were fried or boiled over an open fire. Families with limited facilities would take their Sunday roasts to a nearby bakery for cooking. Even the poorest residents of Little Lon seem to have eaten a considerable amount of meat. Mutton, beef, rabbit and pork came from the Eastern Market in Bourke Street. Oysters and fish were sold from barrows in Flinders Street. Fresh fruit and vegetables were hawked on the streets by Chinese and Italian vendors.
- 1/2 AN IMPERIAL PINT
|Discipline:||Archaeology - Historical|
|Themes this item is part of:||Little Lon, Little Lon Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY|
|Secondary Classification:||(To Be Classified)|
|Tertiary Classification:||(to be classified)|
|Specific Activity:||CONTAINERS FOR STORING OR TRANSPORTING FOOD|
|Lot Area Unit:||43/8/46|
|Inscriptions:||Inscription moulded on one side: MILK/ BOTTLED FOR SALE BY; Amalgamated Dairies/Pty Ltd/ 155 CAPEL ST/ NTH MELB
Inscription on other side: BOTTLE ALWAYS REMAINS/ THE PROPERTY OF THE/ AMALGAMATED DAIRIES PTY LTD/ CANNOT BE LEGALLY USED/ OR SOLD BY OTHERS/ 1/2 IMPERIAL PINT
|Manufacturer:||Amalgamated Dairies Pty Ltd|