Search the collections
Similar items over time
Correspondence - CSIRAC Computer, Review of C.S.I.R.O. Computer Utilisation and Requirements, 1958-1959 Reg. No: HT 13517 1
- File containing correspondence and reports relating to CSIRO computer uses and needs at the University of Melbourne and elsewhere. The file includes letters to Thomas Cherry from EA Cornish of the Mathematical Division of the CSIRO and from F Hirst of the Computation Laboratory at the University. It also includes the reports: 'The Computing Facility for CSIRO', which outlines projected computer requirements for the organisation, and 'Review of CSIRO Computer Utilisation' which contains statistical data and explanatory notes on the the use of the CSIRAC machine.
'Review of CSIRO Computer Utilisation' has data and notes under the following summary headings:
1. Utilisation of CSIRAC during 1958-59;
2. C.S.I.R.O. usage of CSIRAC;
3. Summary of C.S.I.R.O. Projects on CSIRAC during 1958-59;
4. Computing Projects deferred or declined for CSIRAC;
5. C.S.I.R.O. Computing at other centres;
6. Survey of Future Computing Requirements.
Section 3. includes explanations of projects undertaken by each of the listed divisions of the CSIRO and the computer hours used.
- Correspondence details:
Undated Report (1958-59) - 'Review of CSIRO computer utilisation'.
22/7/59 - EA Cornish/CSIRO to T.M. Cherry - CSIRO computer usage current and projected.
24/7/59 - F. Hirst to T.M Cherry - Computer usage by CSIRO and others. Suggesting CSIRO grant increase.
Undated Report - 'The Computing Facility for CSIRO' outlines projected computer requirements for the organisation (undated).
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from University of Melbourne (The) Computer Science & Software Engineering Department
|Tagged with:||computing, csirac computer, first generation computers, mainframe computers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Computing Departments at the University of Melbourne, a brief history 1956-1996, CSIRAC Collection, Information & Communication Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMPUTING & CALCULATING|
|Secondary Classification:||Digital Computing|
|Tertiary Classification:||paperwork & documentation|
Open Access Date: 24 Jul 1959.
|User:||University of Melbourne (The), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1958-1959|
This item is part of the following themes: