Photograph - CSIRAC Computer, Magnetic Drum, 1951 Reg. No: MM 90899 75
- This is one of a series of photographic material in print, negative and/or digital formats covering CSIRAC machine and the people associated with it. The series was acquired from the University of Melbourne in 2003.
- Description Of Content:
- Built by Brian Cooper in 1950-52 as auxuillary storage. It was intended as an experimental prototype, however, it was actually installed and gave good service during the time the computer operated in Sydney.
It was replaced by a disc when CSIRAC recommenced operation in Melbourne in 1956. 23 October, 1951.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from University of Melbourne (The) Computer Science & Software Engineering Department
|Tagged with:||computing, csirac computer, first generation computers, mainframe computers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Computing Departments at the University of Melbourne, a brief history 1956-1996, Information & Communication Collection, CSIRAC Collection, Archival Paper Tape Reading Project for CSIRAC 12 Hole Paper Tapes|
|Primary Classification:||COMPUTING & CALCULATING|
|Secondary Classification:||Digital Computing|
|Tertiary Classification:||archival materials|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Collector:||CSIRAC History Team, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1995 or later|
This item is part of the following themes: