Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Sandringham, Australia
Digital Photograph - Boy Driving Miniature Train for Charity, Sandringham, 1943-1944 Reg. No: MM 110008
- Black and white photograph showing children riding on a miniature train, Sandringham, circa 1943.
The train ride was organised for the 'Bomb Children of Britain' charity during World War II. Children exchanged a toy for a train ride, and all the toys were collected for the charity. This event was ongoing over 1943 and 1944 and was organised by Robert and Madge Edwards. The young boy driving the train in this photograph is their son, William 'Bill' Edwards.
The model train was made by Robert Edwards and is a replica of a particular steam train. The train track was in the shape of an oval and ran around a quarter acre in the backyard at the Edwards' home. It ran over a little bridge and through some bushes which had been trimmed into a tunnel.
Born in England in 1901, Robert Edwards came to Australia in his early 20s. He married Mary 'Madge' Cecilia Stewart Fraser. After spending a little time in Tasmania he settled in Sandringham and Dandenong in Victoria. He worked for Nettlefolds, an engineering company, even though he was of independent means. His work included model making, photography and component making.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- A boy is driving a miniature stream train, while children ride in the carriages behind. At left other children holding toys wait on the train platform for their turn to ride on the train. A shed and trees are in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mr William Edwards, 2006
- Contributed by Mr William Robert Edwards
|Tagged with:||charities, children, rides, steam trains, war effort, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945|
|Themes this item is part of:||Life During World War II in Photographs, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Civilian Life|
|People Depicted:||Edwards, William (Bill) Robert|
|Organisations Depicted:||The Bomb Children of Britain Charity|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Sandringham, Victoria, Australia, 1943-1944
Source of Date Depicted: This date was provided by the boy driving the train, William (Bill) Edwards.
|Photographer:||Mr Robert Edwards|