Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Albert Park, Australia
Digital Photograph - Three Women Wading in Sea, Albert Park Beach, late 1950s Reg. No: MM 110015
- Black and white photograph showing Athanasia Papageorgiou, centre, and her sisters, wading in the water at Albert Park Beach, which was opposite their home, in the late 1950s.
All of the Papageorgiou siblings, five of them in total, had migrated from Greece without their parents, shortly before this photograph was taken in the late 1950s. The stories that these siblings tell of their early young life in Australia centred on this beach.
Born in Greece in 1933, Athanasia Papageorgiou migrated to Australia in the mid 1950s. She was a dressmaker designer and had her own business in Greece. When she came to Australia Athanasia initially worked as a seamstress in the government munitions factory making parachutes. After marrying Konstantinos Papadimitropoulos she bought an overlocker and worked from home sewing pyjamas, while raising two children. In 1972 the family bought a milk bar and were in this business for 20 years. Athanasia passed away on 27 July 2005.
- Description Of Content:
- Three women in swimming suits wading in the surf up to their knees. Buildings are in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Dimitra Birthisel, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Dimitra Birthisel
|Tagged with:||beaches, swimwear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Clothing & Textiles Collection, Leisure Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|People Depicted:||Papageorgiou, Katina; Papageorgiou, Athanasia; Papageorgiou, Panagiota|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Albert Park, Victoria, Australia, late 1950s|
|Photographer:||Mr Sotirios Papageorgiou|