Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted North Melbourne, Australia
Digital Photograph - Three Women & Dog Sitting in Royal Park, early 1960s Reg. No: MM 110016
- Black and white photograph showing Athanasia Papageorgiou, on the right, sitting with an unknown friend on the left, her sister in the middle, and the dog 'Bim' at right, in the early 1960s. They are in the park at North Melbourne, near the Royal Children's Hospital.
Athanasia Papageorgiou and her four siblings had migrated from Greece without their parents in the late 1950s. Athanasia Papageorgiou was born in Greece in 1933. She was a dressmaker designer and had her own business in Greece. When she came to Australia Athanasia initially worked as a seamstress in the government munitions factory making parachutes. Athanasia lived in the North Melbourne area when she purchased her own home, as a single woman, in the early 1960s. After marrying Konstantinos Papadimitropoulos she bought an overlocker and worked from home sewing pyjamas, while raising two children. In 1972 the family bought a milk bar and were in this business for 20 years. Athanasia passed away on 27 July 2005.
- Description Of Content:
- Three women and a dog sitting on the grass in a park. Buildings are in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Dimitra Birthisel, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Dimitra Birthisel
|Tagged with:||dogs, domestic animals, parks, pets|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|People Depicted:||(left to right):; Unknown Woman; Papageorgiou, Eleftheria; Papageorgiou, Athanasia; 'Bim' the dog|
|Organisations Depicted:||Royal Park|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, early 1960s|
|Photographer:||Mr Sotirios Papageorgiou|