Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Mentone, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Family outside Kelly's General Store & Mentone Post Office, Mentone, 1899 Reg. No: MM 110130
- Sepia photograph featuring the Kelly family standing by the verandah of Kelly's General Store and Mentone Post Office, which was located opposite Mentone railway station in Como Parade West, in 1889. Kelly's General Store and Mentone Post Office was owned by John Kelly. In 1891 John C Kelly is listed as estate agent at this address and Mrs Catherine Kelly is listed as running a grocery store at this address. From 1892 there is no Kelly listing at this address. The family still live in the area, and the land that the store was on is now occupied by Kilbreda College, where a member of the family now works.
Sepia photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.
- Digital image file, copied from original sepia print.
- Description Of Content:
- Three family members standing by the verandah of Kelly's General Store and Mentone Post Office, 1889. A man holding a horse & cart is standing to their left (the viewer's right).
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Louise Stevens, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Louise Stevens
|Tagged with:||general stores, horsedrawn vehicles, post offices, streetscapes, kelly, bourne street|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Lives & Work Places in Photographs, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||General Stores|
|Tertiary Classification:||shop fronts|
|People Depicted:||Kelly, Dan; Kelly, John; Kelly, Kate; unknown man|
|Organisations Depicted:||Kelly's General Store; Mentone Post Office|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Mentone, Victoria, Australia, 1889|
|References:||See "Mentone through the years" by Leo Gamble|