Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Essendon, Australia
Digital Photograph - Family Reunited at Essendon Airport, 1948 Reg. No: MM 110151
- Black and white photograph of Marjorie, Bill and Suzanne Cruttenden being met by Mrs Dorcas Brown, Marjorie's mother, at Essendon Airport in December 1948.
Bill Cruttenden was in the Royal Air Force during World War II. He was English and after he and Marjorie married, they went to England in February 1942. They were now returning six years later at the end of the war. The Cruttenden family had sailed to Australia on the 'MV Asturias' and landed at Fremantle. The family then flew from Fremantle to Melbourne with Trans-Australia Airlines. Both the journey by ship and the airplane were sponsored by the Australian Government, with the understanding that the Cruttenden family would pay the government back later. There was no seat for Suzanne, who was held on her parent's laps during the journey.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- A man, two women and little girl on the tarmac in front of an airplane. The man is carrying the girl. Two airline stewardesses are behind, to the right.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Marjorie Cruttenden, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Marjorie Cruttenden
|Tagged with:||aeroplanes, air transport, families, wars conflicts, english immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Arrival|
|Inscriptions:||VELOX 3 29|
|People Depicted:||Cruttenden, Suzanne; Cruttenden, Bill; Cruttenden, Marjorie; Brown, Dorcas|
|Organisations Depicted:||Essendon Airport|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Essendon, Victoria, Australia, Dec 1948|