Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Family at Beach with Parasols, Dromana, 1927 Reg. No: MM 110186
- Black and white photograph featuring the Cornish family at the beach in Dromana in 1927. The Cornish family would go to Dromana in the summer holidays to stay at an uncle's house, but the men would stay in town and go to work. The family had a bathing box at the beach and everyone had their own nail to hang up their clothes. They were not allowed to wear their bathers to the beach, they had to be fully dressed.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- An extended family of all ages, in swimming costumes standing on the sand at the beach. Three are holding Chinese parasols in the back row. Most women are wearing bathing caps. A long pier is in the background. Trees are visible at left, and the sea at right.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Anne Hall, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Anne Hall
|Tagged with:||beaches, families, holidays, seascapes, swimwear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|People Depicted:||Cornish, Muriel; Gilbert, Dorothy; Cornish, Judith; Cornish, Claude; Cornish, Dorothy; Cornish, Jack; Cornish, David; Cornish, Ella; Howitt, Joan; Cornish, Peter; Gilbert, Mary; Flockart, Jean; Gilbert, Bill|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Dromana, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia, 1927
Source of Date Depicted: Based on date provided by contributor's mother.
|Photographer:||Mrs Edith Cornish|