Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Chelsea, Australia
Digital Photograph - Staff & Family with Delivery Cart, Outside WP Clarke Grocery Store & Removal Business, Chelsea, 1920-1921 Reg. No: MM 110211
- Black and white photograph featuring William Clarke, Leslie (unknown surname), Bill Clarke, and Rye Clarke in a horse drawn delivery van outside the Clarke family grocery and removal business on the Nepean Highway in Chelsea, about 1920-1921. The two-pronged business was promoted as the Chelsea Fruit and Vegetable Market & General Grocer, and WP Clarke Carrier.
After this photograph was taken, on the 21st April 1922, William Clarke was killed in an accident whilst driving the delivery cart in Sandringham. The load in the cart came forward on a steep hill behind Sandringham Station on Sandringham Road, and killed William, aged 36.
Photograph collected as part of Melbourne's Biggest Family Album in 2006.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Man and two boys in delivery cart, drawn by two horses, outside grocer and removalist shop. Female staff member is standing near the doorway, and a female customer with children is standing in the doorway. A man is on the footpath to the left.
Signage on the grocery store promotes ' fresh fruit picked daily' and 'cool summer drinks' The sign on the delivery cart says "Chelsea WP Clarke Carrier, furniture carefully removed phone Chelsea 2". A sign for the removal business on the fence states "To and from city twice a week" and notes that the business caters to furniture removal as well as carrying people to picnics.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mr Bob Clarke, 2006
- Contributed by Mr Bob Clarke
|Tagged with:||advertising, carriers, delivery vehicles, fruit, general stores, grocers, horsedrawn vehicles, markets, removalists, staff, vegetables|
|Themes this item is part of:||Working Lives & Work Places in Photographs, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Supermarkets & Grocers|
|People Depicted:||Clarke, William; (surname unknown) Leslie; Clarke, Bill; Clarke, Rye|
|Organisations Depicted:||Chelsea Fruit and Vegetable Market; WP Clarke Carrier|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Chelsea, Victoria, Australia, 1920-1921|