Search the collections
Digital Photograph - White Star Line, SS 'Suevic' & Orient Line, SS 'Orsova' at Railway Pier, Port Melbourne, circa 1913 Reg. No: MM 110332
- The photographer, Stanley Fletcher, was training to be a professional photographer with Powers Studio before the First World War when he enlisted to become a serviceman. Photographs like these were often printed as postcards and there are many postcards of the 'Orsova' and Railway Pier in existence.
- Circular photographic image.
- Description Of Content:
- View of Railway Pier, Port Melbourne, circa 1913, with large steamships tied up along either side of the pier. On the left is the 12,500 ton White Star Line passenger and cargo ship 'Suevic' (built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Ireland, 1901) and on the right the well known 12,000 ton Orient Line passenger & royal mail steamship 'Orsova' (built by John Brown & Co, Clydebank, Scotland, 1909). Another unidentified steamship of similar size appears in the background.
Running along the centre of the pier in the middle of the image are five lines of train track or sidings on which various railway goods trucks and vans are parked unloading and receiving goods from the ships. Numerous people - including passengers and/or members of the pubic and workmen - can be seen on the pier between the railway rollingstock. Many of the people are dressed in coats and hats and carrying suitcases or other forms of luggage. There is an elevated navigation light attached to the pier on the left near the 'Suevic'.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Nancy Gallagher, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Nancy Gallagher
|Dimensions:||4.25 in (Height), 4.25 in (Width)|
|Tagged with:||steam line, model steam engines|
|Themes this item is part of:||Transport Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Steam Power|
|Tertiary Classification:||screw steamers - passenger|
On left: 'SUEVIC' (?)
On right: 'ORSOVA'
Bottom centre: 'PORT MELBOURNE.'
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1913
Railway Pier was replaced by a new structure named Station Pier in 1930.
Date Depicted from contributor's memory.
|Photographer:||Mr Stanley Fletcher, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1913
The photographer was the contributor Nancy Gallagher's father.
|Ship Depicted:||White Star Line, circa 1913|
|Ship Depicted:||Orient Steam Navigation Company Limited (Orient Line), circa 1913|
Note: Ship at left previously incorrectly identified as 'Suevia' of Hamburg-America Line, which was launched on 1 June 1874 and scrapped in 1897 after being stranded.
Information from Discovery Centre Inquiry DC ENQ 69757.