Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Sandringham, Australia
Digital Photograph - Family Working in Vegetable Garden of 'Sunnyside', Sandringham, 1930s Reg. No: MM 110343
- Black and white photograph showing the Fletcher family home 'Sunnyside' at Sandringham, with Amelia Fletcher, Jim Fletcher and their daughter Emily Brearley, in the 1930s. Emily, known as Em, and her husband Fred lived with Emily's parents for a long time after World War I.
The family had a large allotment with an extensive vegetable garden and chooks. Amelia and Jim Fletcher's granddaughter, Nancy Gallagher, thought it was 'Quite a grand house in retrospect, although it didn't seem like it when she was a child.' Em's brother Stanley also chose to settle on the same street.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- View of the side of a house, with family of two women and a man working in extensive vegetable garden. The view looks out to the street frontage, where one house and a vacant block are visible.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Nancy Gallagher, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Nancy Gallagher
|Tagged with:||domestic environment, families, gardening, houses|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||DOMESTIC LIFE|
|Tertiary Classification:||vegetable gardens|
|Inscriptions:||In the thirties Amelia Fletcher and daughter Emily Brearley|
|People Depicted:||Brearley, Emily; Fletcher, Amelia; Fletcher, Jim|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Sandringham, Victoria, Australia, 1930s
Source of Date Depicted: Contributor's memory.
|Photographer:||Mr Stanley Fletcher|