Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Sleeping Soldier, Backyard, Auburn, 1939 Reg. No: MM 110391
- Black and white photograph showing Bernie Concidine, who was a cook in the army during World War II. Here he is pictured sleeping in the backyard of the Quaife family home in Auburn in 1939. He was just back from New Guinea, where he was located during the war. Bernie Concidine was a friend of Nola Quaife, who took this photograph, and he boarded with her family. Nola remembers that Bernie used to come home from army training exhausted.The photograph was probably taken early in World War II.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Soldier sleeping on his side, with rug underneath him and hat over his head, in corner of a backyard of a house, near two fences, and a garden. A prop post for a clothes line is at left.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Rosalie Quaife, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Rosalie Quaife
|Tagged with:||backyards, servicemen, sleeping, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945|
|Themes this item is part of:||Life During World War II in Photographs, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|People Depicted:||Concidine, 'Bernie'|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Auburn, Victoria, Australia, 1939
Source of Date Depicted: Contributor's mother's memory.
|Photographer:||Mrs Nola Quaife|