Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Abbotsford, Australia
Digital Photograph - Owner, Family & Staff Outside J Phillips Ironmongers, Abbotsford, circa 1872 Reg. No: MM 110458
- Digital Photograph of a picture of James Phillips and his family standing outside of his store 'J. Phillips Iron Mongers' in 1872 or 1873. The Sands and McDougall Directory list James Phillip trading at 51 Victoria St in East Collingwood for the first time in 1873, although given the date on the shop front in is likely he was also trading there in 1872.
- Description Of Content:
- Shop owner, wife and two daughters standing in entrance of an ironmonger store. Owner is holding a spade. A boy is standing nearby. Buckets are hanging from the verandah.
This photograph shows James Phillips and his family standing outside of his store 'J. Phillips Iron Mongers', at 51 Victoria Street Abbotsford in about 1872 or 1873. He is standing with his wife Mary and his two daughters Mary (born in 1862) and Amelia (born in 1866). The family lived in the residence on the second floor of the building. James Phillip had a previous store right next to this one, at 49 Victoria Street Abbotsford. The family believes that James Phillips bought the vacant yard next door to his old property at 49 Victoria Street Abbotsford and built his new premises there. The building has "1872" inscribed in the facade at the top. By 1920 there were four shops built on the site.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Robin Wembridge, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Robin Wembridge (Landman Family)
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Settlement - Employment|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|People Depicted:||Phillips, Amelia; Phillips, James; Phillips, Mary snr; Phillips Mary jnr|
|Organisations Depicted:||James Phillips Ironmonger|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, circa 1872|