Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Port Melbourne, Australia
Digital Photograph - Christening, St Joseph's Catholic Church, Port Melbourne, circa 1969 Reg. No: MM 110587
- Black and white photograph showing a Lhuede family christening at St Joseph's Catholic Church, Port Melbourne, circa 1969.
Kate Lhuede believes that her family was probably waiting in line to christen Michael, her brother, after another christening. Kate's aunt was a nun, and came to visit from Perth for the occasion. The children were wearing sheepskin hats. The church was St Joseph's in Bay Street, Port Melbourne and is now deconsecrated.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- A christening in a church, with a couple holding a baby at far left. The couple are being handed a candle by a priest. To the centre, there are three women, the one in the middle in a nun's habit, and three infant girls. All the females are wearing hats. There is a religious statue in the background, at left.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Miss Kate Lhuede, 2006
- Contributed by Miss Kate Lhuede
|Tagged with:||celebrations, christenings, churches, families, religions|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CELEBRATIONS & TRADITIONS|
|Secondary Classification:||Baptisms & Christenings|
|People Depicted:||Lipsett, Margaret; Lhuede, Elizabeth; Lhuede, Gabrielle ('Gabby'); Lhuede, Nick; Lhuede, Kate|
|Organisations Depicted:||St Joseph's Catholic Church, Port Melbourne|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1969
Source of Date Depicted: Contributor's estimate based on the ages of her family in the photograph.