Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Sydney, Australia
Similar items over time
Digital Photograph - Exterior View of 'People's Palace', Pitt St, Sydney, 1940s Reg. No: MM 110600
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Black and white photograph showing the People's Palace in Pitt St, Sydney with passing tram, circa 1940s. The Salvation Army ran a number of these People's Palace establishments around Australia; the Pitt Street Palace opened in January 1899. They provided affordable accommodation for single people and families.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Susan Sutton, 2006
- Contributed by Mrs Susan Sutton
|Tagged with:||footpaths, pedestrians, theatres, trams, accommodation, what is there now|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RECREATION & TOURISM|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Accommodation|
|Organisations Depicted:||The People's Palace|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1940s
Source of Date Depicted: contributor's estimate.
|Photographer:||Mr Bill Piggott|
|References:||Previously incorrectly captioned as the People's Palace in Bourke St, Melbourne.|